People and Environmental Integrity Program (PEIP)
Problems and Issues
With the recent transitions of Myanmar from decades-long economic and political isolation, a number of efforts initiated by the government for the economic development of the country have expectedly led to an early rapid growth due to the surge of regional and global investors and inevitably increased threats on environmental sustainability. Such growth would not be sustained if proper environmental and social issues remain unaddressed. Although there are regulatory frameworks already in place, there is still a challenge in law enforcement due to weaknesses in implementation and in the rule of law. Moreover the roles and rights of the grassroots communities who are directly affected by the adverse environmental impacts are still not clearly specified in the legislations. In order to comply with the current laws to address the adverse impacts arising from the industrial development, there are financial and technological challenges for the local industries, especially small and medium enterprises in Myanmar. There is an urgent need to help bridge this gap through promoting private-public partnership and capacity building of all stakeholders in order to improve social and environmental compliance and existing regulatory framework.
Clean Water, Clean Air and Clean Soil
“Let’s monitor, explore, conserve, defend and advocate for our environment”
Theory of Change
With the transition of Myanmar from a country with political and economic isolation to the long-awaited democratic reform, various departments have been focusing on the country’s growth in peace, reform and development processes. During this process, our fragile environment needs to be protected to prevent reaching the ecological threshold from various pressures by empowering the grass root communities to protect their own resource rights.
- A policy package for efficient and effective environmental management and conservation is developed.
- Collaborative management for Environmental Monitoring and Management is improved.
Role of ALARM and Approach
ALARM has been implementing the following areas under the PEIP program.
- Initiation and coordination of innovative ideas and practices for responsible businesses, aiming towards sustainable development
- Providing networking and creating common platform for all stakeholders to come together for collective discussion and solving environmental issues
- Public-private partnership for effective management of industrial waste and enhancing environmental quality in industrialized urban areas
- Environmental watch for environmental governance
- Collaboration with academic institutions for producing environmental experts and creating intellectual network for collaborative research and development activities in controlling industrial pollution
Capacity building and awareness raising for grass root communities for ensuring protection of their resource rights
- Revision of Environmental Law
- Participatory Environmental Assessment (PEA) Guidelines
- Environmental Report Card (ERC)
- Independent Environmental Quality Monitoring system
- Developing National Laboratory Standard
- Environmental and social safety framework/minimum requirement checklist for SMEs
- Environmental Hotline
- Ecological Laboratory Testing Services
- Incubator Services
- Intensive on-job trainings and Internship programs for young leaders
- Capacity Building
- Awareness Raising
It is assumed that all legal rights can be practiced under the current democracy government.